Comics artist, illustrator, editor
- I was born in 1983 and live in Helsinki, Finland
- I’ve published the books Mountain Wife – Backpacking Comics from the South Caucasus (Neon Tunisia, 2015, contains translations, read more about the book here) and Taxi to Kurdistan – Backpacking Comics from the Middle East (Asema, 2009), several comics anthology entries, strip comics for magazines etc. See my comics here. Most books and zines contain English translations!
- I work as editor in chief of Sarjainfo comics magazine and press officer at Finnish Comics Society. So ask me about Finnish comics!
- I work freelance doing comics, info comics, strips, event sketchnoting, illustrations, caricatures, lettering, writing, teaching etc. I help customers in visualising information at events and in communications (print and web). See my freelance work here.
- I studied Sociology & Development Studies at Sussex University, UK (Bachelor of Arts, Hons, 2006)
- In my free time I do sports, cycling, travelling, reading and I study Russian.
- Order my books and zines, see the shop here.
Instagram account of my work in English: @ainosutinen
Samples of some recent works in English:
Comics of European far-right populist movements in the Picture Politics project (Goethe-Institut, 2017). Read them here.
Live illustrations at Diversity in Adult Education conference in Helsinki (2017).
Live illustrations for the ”Stopped” research project on ethnic profiling in Finland (full-length info comics to be released online in 2018).
Info comics about the Finnish sauna for Sauna Society (2016).
”The Thief” – large serigraphy print for the Tempora Mutantur international exhibition of Kutikuti contemporary comics association (2016). Buy it from me or at Tabulaland.
Info comics of young asylum seekers for European Youth Forum (2016). Read it here.