Comics artist, sketchnoter, illustrator, editor
- I work freelance doing comics, info comics, event sketchnoting, illustrations, caricatures, lettering, writing, teaching etc.
I help customers in visualising information at events and in communications (print and web, in Finnish and English). See my freelance work portfolio here (in Finnish).
- I’ve published the books Mountain Wife – Backpacking Comics from the South Caucasus (Neon Tunisia, 2015, with translations, read more here) and Taxi to Kurdistan – Backpacking Comics from the Middle East (with translation, Asema, 2009), zines, comics anthology entries, comics for magazines etc. See my comics here. Most books and zines contain English subtitles!
- I work as editor in chief of Sarjainfo, Finland’s only comics culture magazine and press officer at Finnish Comics Society. So ask me about Finnish comics!
Background & more
- I was born in 1983 and live in Helsinki, Finland
- I studied Sociology & Development Studies at Sussex University, Brighton, UK (Bachelor of Arts, Honours, degree: 1st, 2006)
- In my free time I do sports, cycling, travelling, reading and I study Russian for fun.
- Order my books and zines, see the shop here.
Instagram account of my work in English: @ainosutinen
Need a live illustrator for your event? I work on paper and digitally, the format is quite flexible and you can use the illustrations freely later.
Samples of some recent works in English:
The Stopped – research project, multimedia, long webcomic, sketchnotes and an illustrated video about ethnic profiling in Finland (2018). You can read it here.
Sketchnotes for Lappeenranta University of Technology, European Robotics Forum (2018).
Sketchnotes for Huawei (2017).
Comics of European far-right populist movements in the Picture Politics project (Goethe-Institut, 2017). Read them here.
Live illustrations at Diversity in Adult Education conference in Helsinki (2017).
Info comics about the Finnish sauna for Sauna Society (2016).
”The Thief” – large serigraphy print for the Tempora Mutantur international exhibition of Kutikuti contemporary comics association (2016). Buy it from me or at Tabulaland.
Info comics of young asylum seekers for European Youth Forum (2016). Read it here.